“It is the nature of a strong heart, that like the palm tree, it strives ever upward when it is burdened.”-Philip Sidney
All the summer and beach vibes of this palm tree appliqué just speak to my VERY. SOUL.
If you know anything about me, you know that I LOVE SUMMER! I just love everything about it…the warmth of the sunshine, the balmy breeze of the ocean, the salt in my hair, the sand on my skin, the afternoon rain…it just feels like HOME. Since I no longer live in a tropical paradise, I choose to cling to all the tropical things that I possibly can. This is something that I want to be a part of my brand. So, when it was time to come up with another collab with my good friend Kathy of Kathy’s Kozies, I chose to go with none other than a palm tree appliqué! Our first collaboration was a pineapple appliqué, and it was such a huge success that we both knew that we would need to collab together again!
Whenever I have the opportunity to go back home to Florida for a visit, the first thing I notice is the palm trees. I almost always get a cry in my throat when I see the first one. A palm tree is such a beautiful representation of summer, warmth, and strength.
“Why do you love summer so much?” you may ask. For me, it’s the happiest time of the year. All the summer activities bring me so much joy. I love going to baseball games and watching the fireworks. I love watching my kids play in the pool and sprinklers outside. I love stopping at our local ice cream stand and getting a giant scoop (or two) of chocolate chip cookie dough on a waffle cone. And then right smack in the middle of summer, I celebrate my birthday! So, I guess in a way, I was destined. While all of these things are wonderful, the warmth of summer brings me the most happiness.
If I had to choose whether to be hot or cold, I would choose to be hot, hands down. I know that this is a very great debate in some circles. Some people like to say, “You can always put more clothes on when it’s cold outside.” I think it really just boils down to body type. I have a hard time getting warm, and being cold literally makes me fighting mad, so I would prefer to lay outside and bake in the sun. Last summer, we had our air conditioner go out for a few days, and I literally didn’t care. The heat never bothered me anyway.
Because a palm tree is built for summer and extreme heat, it is a very strong tree. Growing up in Florida, I have seen my fair share of hurricanes, and it always amazed me that the wind would bend those palm trees so far that they would literally be laying across the ground, and yet, when the storm was over, they would bounce right back up. Sometimes, life has a way of blowing us down to the ground. May we be like that palm tree, and bounce right back up…
…when the storm subsides.
Skill Level – Beginner
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links to the products used in this project. If you make a purchase through any of these links, we will get a small commission at no additional cost to you.
- Worsted (4) weight yarn
- US 7/4.50mm crochet hook
- Tapestry needle
- Scissors (Check out these pineapple scissors!)
- CH – Chain
- HDC – Half double crochet
- Bobble – Bobble stitch
- SC INC – Single crochet increase (two SC in one stitch)
- SC – Single crochet
- SK – Skip
- SC DEC – Single crochet indicated stitches together
- SL ST – Slip stitch
- HDC – Half double crochet
- DC – Double crochet
- This appliqué is worked from the bottom of the trunk upward. After the trunk is completed, a contrasting color is joined, and the leaves are made by chaining, working back down the chain, and anchoring the leaf to the trunk with a slip stitch. This process is repeated until all of the leaves have been made.
- The finished appliqué measures approximately 4” x 3.25”.
- This appliqué is a collaboration with The Everything Cozy by Kathy of Kathy’s Kozies! You can find the pattern for her cozy on https://kathyskozies.com. You can also find her on Instagram at www.instagram.com/kathyskozies.
- If you have any difficulty completing this project and would like support, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- YO, insert hook into desired stitch and pull up a loop (3 loops on hook).
- YO, pull through two loops (2 loops on hook).
- YO, insert hook back into the same stitch and pull up a loop (4 loops on hook).
- YO, pull through two loops (3 loops on hook).
- YO, insert hook back into the same stitch and pull up a loop (5 loops on hook).
- YO, pull through two loops (4 loops on hook).
- YO, insert hook back into the same stitch and pull up a loop (6 loops on hook).
- YO, pull through two loops (5 loops on hook).
- YO, pull through all five loops.
Leave a long tail for stitching the appliqué onto your project.
Row 1: CH 4, HDC in 2nd CH from hook, Bobble, HDC. (3)
Row 2: CH 1, turn, SC INC, SC, SK last stitch. (3)
Row 3: CH 1, turn, HDC, Bobble, HDC. (3)
Row 4-7: Repeat Row 2-3.
Row 8: Repeat Row 2.
Row 9: SC DEC over all three stitches. (1)
Join contrasting color, CH 1, SL ST into last stitch.
Leaf: CH 9, SL ST into 3rd CH from hook, SC 2, HDC 2, DC 2, SL ST into beginning stitch.
Repeat 5x for a total of six leaves.
Cut yarn. Fasten off.
You can use your new appliqué to add some palm tree goodness to any of your makes! Here the appliqué is shown attached to Kathy’s Everything Cozy! You can find this pattern on her blog at https://kathyskozies.com!
Stitch the trunk onto your project using the long tail from the beginning CH. Be sure to put a slight bend in the trunk making it lean towards the right.
Use a basting stitch to work through the end of each row and across the bottom of the trunk. When stitching onto the project, only insert the hook through the top layer of the stitches so the stitches are not visible on the other side.
Arrange the leaves as desired and tack the lower four down with one stitch through each leaf towards the tip. I preferred to have three leaves leaning up towards the left and three leaning down towards the right.
Weave in all tails and cut yarn.
That’s it! I hope that you enjoyed this pattern!
This project was a collaboration with Kathy @kathyskozies and her Everything Cozy! It was designed to fit her Everything Cozy which you can find on her blog https://kathyskozies.com. Her adorable wooden buttons are also available for purchase!
If you make this appliqué, please share it! I would love to see your work! You can tag me on Instagram and Facebook @theplushpineapple. Use the tag #theplushpineapple.
“Much love, sunshine, and pineapples”Sarah
The photographs and pattern contained in this document are the property of A Plush Pineapple. Unauthorized reproduction, in whole or in part, or distribution of this pattern or content is prohibited. ALL FINISHED PRODUCTS created using this pattern may be sold locally or online. If selling finished products online, please give my blog credit for the pattern by posting a link to my website.